Thursday 26 May 2011

Renewable energy and efficiency

I went with a colleague to Sustainabilitylive! 2011 on Weds 25th May, and the exhibition covers all renewable energies. Something which I am very interested in.


I have to be honest, that I was rather disappointed to see a lack of innovative products from Britain, in the show, although I am very sure there are some extremely forward thinking companies in the UK. Something seems to stop us from taking the technology lead to the forefront. In the main exhibition, the only product I got really exited about was unfortunately German! A great idea to increase the the efficiency of impellers, and very much borrowed from nature. Makes the machine run silent too, and is designed for air-conditioning on the outside of buildings.

The UKTI were a different matter however. I was very very impressed with their forward-thinking, and clearly on the button of what is needed for business. But it looks like the Government unfortunately is always a step behind? So perhaps this is a side effect of BIG government? There are currently too many stages between ideas and success. Lets hope that we don't miss out on the next upcoming technologies... After meeting with the Chinese deligation, I know that they have a "5 year plan" and these people don't just make cheap products, they plan ahead and are on to it now in a big way. Lets take the lead, as the technologists are here in the UK, and surely we are not going to give the game away on the next big thing. Energy saving products.

No comments:

Post a Comment